There are lockers for luggage at many Swiss train stations. I would like to store luggage in one of them (in Brig) for three days, buy cannot find out what the maximum period for rentals is - does anyone know?
It appears that information is in fact not listed in full on public websites.
So I called them and asked about specifics at the Brig train station:
- Generally, the maximum storage duration is 24h
- However, you can extend the storage duration via supplementary payments before the 24h runs out, up to a maximum of 72h total
- If a 24h period runs out without further payment, the contents will be locked and a red light on the locker should indicate that you need to pay again to access your contents
- After the total maximum of 72h runs out, the contents of the locker will be claimed by the baggage office and moved to the lost & found, and you'll have to pick them up there (for a fee, I assume)
Prices and available sizes do vary between locations (source (german)).
In Brig, there's two sizes of lockers (width x height x depth):
- Large - 44x61x88cm - CHF 8.00 / 24h
- Small - 24x42x75cm - CHF 5.00 / 24h
Source: SBB Rail Service (+41 900 300 300 (premium rate number, CHF 1.19 / min))
Opening Times (Brig)
Mon–Fri 07:00 – 18:30 Sat 07:00 – 18:00 Sun 08:00 – 12:00 13:30 – 18:00
Lost & Found
Mon–Fri 07:00 – 19:00 Sat 07:00 – 18:00 Sun 08:00 – 12:00 13:30 – 18:00
Source: SBB service opening hours (Brig)
Note: These opening times only refer to the offices (baggage / lost & found), access times for your locker are usually longer.
I couldn't get exact details for access times to lockers in the Brig station, but this page for lockers in Zürich main station lists them as
Sat–Sun 24h Mon-Fri 00.30–04.30 closed
so I assume the situation in Brig is at least similar.