"I work in Thailand.What legal action can i take against my employer as he firstly refused to give my passport back after that made excuses that i have it and will give you and now he is saying he doesn't have it."

As far as I know its illegal, can please someone help me and guide me about to take Legal action in Thailand.

closed as off-topic by Doc, Kate Gregory, CMaster, Willeke, o.m. Jun 18 '16 at 18:20

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Have you contacted the police? Or if a foreigner in Thailand, your embassy? – Willeke Jun 18 '16 at 17:12
  • 1
    not travel. perhaps workplace, but it's legal advice, so not on topic there as written. Maybe legal.se? – Kate Gregory Jun 18 '16 at 17:18
  • 3
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it is a request for legal advice – Kate Gregory Jun 18 '16 at 17:19
  • 2
    @axe you need to contact your own embassy, the one for the country which passport it is. – Willeke Jun 18 '16 at 18:06
  • 1
    Go to the country that issued your passport. Report it as stolen (and it will be cancelled). (Probably) pay to get a new passport (some countries do this for free under certain circumstances). If under any specific visas, apply to Thai Immigration to get the reinstated in your new passport. – The Wandering Coder Jun 20 '16 at 8:12

Contact your country's embassy or consulate to report the issue, as officially the passport belongs to the country, not to you. Most embassies will not do much directly on your behalf, but most do have lists of suggested lawyers they can give you, through which you can pursue legal action.

You can contact the Royal Thai Police and file a complaint. But if it is a he said you said issue, they tend to side with the Thai side of the story.

Ultimately it will come down to what agreements were made when you were hired. And then weighing those agreements against Thai laws.

  • I didn't signed a bond with them when i was hired. If it goes in their favor then what should I do?Stay there until I die?:s there must be some solution to it.I want to go to my country. – axe Jun 18 '16 at 17:33
  • 1
    Ultimately, your employer can not sieze property of your goverment permanently. Working through a lawyer and the RTP, you will be able to resolve the issue. First thing Monday morning contact your embassy and make sure your boss knows you have reported it to the embassy and police. – user13044 Jun 18 '16 at 17:49

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.