I'm a non-EU citizen (Bolivian) currently studying a PhD in the UK. I'm thinking about having a trip throughout Europe. Does anybody know if I can apply for the Schengen visa within the UK where I'm a legally-established student but not a resident? Do I have to travel to my country of origin in order to apply?

  • Why do you think that you are not a resident? For Schengen purposes, you most likely are considered one, especially if you are staying there for more than 6 months (i.e. not a on standard visitor visa). – Relaxed Jun 16 '16 at 18:59
  • 1
    You may not be a permanent resident, but if you are doing a PhD you are almost certainly a resident. – phoog Jun 16 '16 at 19:05
  • If you really are a visitor, it's more difficult but not necessarily impossible, see travel.stackexchange.com/questions/48756/… and travel.stackexchange.com/questions/30771/… – Relaxed Jun 16 '16 at 19:11
  • 3
    You have 'normal residence' if your UK visa was issued for a term greater than 6 months – Gayot Fow Jun 16 '16 at 19:14

Yes, as long as you have a UK residency permit valid for additional 3 months. Relevant quote from the Czech consulate in London:

  1. UK Residence permit (original plus photocopy) valid for at least 3 months beyond the return date of the trip to the Schengen Area.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.