I'm a non-EU citizen (Bolivian) currently studying a PhD in the UK. I'm thinking about having a trip throughout Europe. Does anybody know if I can apply for the Schengen visa within the UK where I'm a legally-established student but not a resident? Do I have to travel to my country of origin in order to apply?

  • Why do you think that you are not a resident? For Schengen purposes, you most likely are considered one, especially if you are staying there for more than 6 months (i.e. not a on standard visitor visa).
    – Relaxed
    Commented Jun 16, 2016 at 18:59
  • 1
    You may not be a permanent resident, but if you are doing a PhD you are almost certainly a resident.
    – phoog
    Commented Jun 16, 2016 at 19:05
  • If you really are a visitor, it's more difficult but not necessarily impossible, see travel.stackexchange.com/questions/48756/… and travel.stackexchange.com/questions/30771/…
    – Relaxed
    Commented Jun 16, 2016 at 19:11
  • 3
    You have 'normal residence' if your UK visa was issued for a term greater than 6 months
    – Gayot Fow
    Commented Jun 16, 2016 at 19:14

1 Answer 1


Yes, as long as you have a UK residency permit valid for additional 3 months. Relevant quote from the Czech consulate in London:

  1. UK Residence permit (original plus photocopy) valid for at least 3 months beyond the return date of the trip to the Schengen Area.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .