When applying for a US B1/B2 visa from Russia and you can fulfill most of the required documents but can only do partially one of the requirements i.e... The passport as one, the airfare for the third but you can only fulfill your earnings statement and your pay-stub at the time of your application, can the travel agent send proof of your financial means to the embassy when you show him/her that you have the funds?

  • 1
    Since you wrote B1/B2, I am assuming that you want to apply for a US visa, so I added a corresponding tag. Please correct it if this is wrong.
    – DCTLib
    Jun 14 '16 at 10:29
  • 1
    Thanks, that tag isn't much help. She has shown everything but the money to sustain herself while here in the US and has told me that if she can't show the money part she will be charged with fraud and banned for life. Jun 14 '16 at 10:53
  • 3
    "charged with fraud and banned for life" - that's not what happens when you're denied a visa unless you've committed some sort of serious willful infringement. Failure to show sufficient funds is just going to get you a "visa denied, try again if/when you can resolve this issue".
    – brhans
    Jun 14 '16 at 12:34
  • 4
    If I understand this right, you're helping someone (perhaps a lady you met on the internet?) in Russia come to the US to visit you and she's asking you for money, saying that if she doesn't have it she could be charged with fraud and banned for life. Do I have that right? Jun 14 '16 at 16:00
  • 4
    Stop. Someone is trying to scam you. We have seen this sort of thing before. Jun 14 '16 at 17:14

Scam aside.

There is really not much that can be deemed acceptable as proof of funds for the purpose of the visa. The issue is not just the availability of funds but also their provenance.

A consulate use paystubs as part of the proof that the applicant will return because they have a legitimate job and the bank statements to proof that the money that the applicant has come from legitimate sources, such as a job, and not from illegal or questionable activities.

There is also a related question related to Schengen visa application but similar logic would apply for the US:

Proving your financial stability if you are a freelancer

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.