I just graduated from my university and am accepted in a Summer School in Hungary related to my studies, for two weeks. I'm going to apply for a Schengen visa.

What should I mention as my occupation since I've graduated and I can't have proof of ongoing studies?

Does this affect the visa process?

2 Answers 2


You have recently graduated and are now applying for a Schengen visa in order to take courses in Hungary.

I'm gonna apply for a Schengen visa but what should I mention as my occupation since I graduated and I can't have a proof of ongoing studies?

You can put down "Prospective Student"

and does this affect the visa process?

Everything you put down on the application affects the outcome, and 'Occupation' is no different. Your 'occupation' tells them what to look for in assessing your personal circumstances, so don't over-decorate your occupation beyond what it actually is or they will worry if you are presenting yourself accurately.

"Prospective Student" is fine.

  • How about "postgraduate student"?
    – o.m.
    Jun 13, 2016 at 5:29
  • @o.m., please elevate your comment to an answer so that it has more visibility
    – Gayot Fow
    Jun 13, 2016 at 5:56
  • @JohnMicheal please read how the site works to assure you always get quality answers. stackoverflow.com/help/someone-answers
    – Gayot Fow
    Jun 14, 2016 at 19:17

If you have a master or PhD you should call yourself postgraduate student rather than just student. In parts of Europe postgrads are seen as junior scientists, not merely students.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .