I'm a citizen of Nigeria but am living in Italy as an immigrant.

Recently I got the Italian carta d'identita (11 year residence permit).

Can I use this to travel to the US? How do I apply and what else is required?

  • 1
    The Italian residence permit might help to get an US visa, since you are less likely to be perceived as an illegal immigrant. You still have to get the visa. – o.m. Jun 11 '16 at 5:54
  • 1
    Aren't Italian residence permits usually known as "permesso di soggiorno"? "Carta d'identita" sounds more like an ID card than a permit. – hmakholm left over Monica Jun 11 '16 at 8:52
  • @HenningMakholm I doubt you can get a permesso di soggiorno valid 10+ years. Even a carta d'identita' is only valid 10 years. However, in either case, none of them are going to get you into the USA – Berwyn Jun 11 '16 at 16:26
  • I'm assuming that he's had Italian residency for 11 years. – mkennedy Jun 12 '16 at 2:33

No. Even Italians can't use a carta d'identita' to visit the US. You need a passport.

| improve this answer | |
  • 4
    And since you are a citizen of Nigeria, you also need a visa. Again, having Italian residency doesn't exempt you from this. – Nate Eldredge Jun 11 '16 at 4:59
  • @NateEldredge I am pretty sure that even if you are an italian citizen the passport is not enough, and you need a visa anyhow – Ant Jun 11 '16 at 9:52
  • 2
    @Ant Ever heard about the Visa Waiver Program? – fkraiem Jun 11 '16 at 9:58
  • @fkraiem Oh, of course.. For some reason I thought it was about moving there.. Thanks for the clarification :) – Ant Jun 11 '16 at 10:31

The Italian Carta d'Identita for immigrants is different from the one they issue for the Italian citizens; on the cover of the carta d'identita for the immigrants/ foreigners it's written "Non valida per l’Espatrio" which in English means 'not valid for traveling abroad' here's a sample picture

The Italian citizens can use the Carta d'Identita within the EU travels, but traveling to the US they do need a passport as well!

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.