I am a South African citizen on a Tier 4 UK student visa which expires at the end of August. I am hoping to go to the Schengen area (Italy and then France) from 28 June to 4 July, but I noticed that the website says that I need to have a:

"UK Residence permit valid for at least 90 days beyond the return date of the trip to the Schengen Area"

Obviously, my UK student visa will expire before 90 days after I return.

My question is: are they very strict on thisrequirement ? I have my return flights booked back to the UK and will possibly have my flights back to South Africa booked as well.

Any advice or experience on this? Thanks so much!!!

EDIT: I would be perfectly fine with a short stay (i.e. 15 or 30 day visa), single entry visa.

EDIT: Would giving a full itinerary with tour bookings etc prove my bone fides as a tourist and not someone who is seeking to overstay their visa?

Am I likely to have my visa refused?

closed as primarily opinion-based by JonathanReez, Willeke, Gayot Fow, JoErNanO, David Richerby Jun 18 '16 at 19:04

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    Well... yes, they are strict about this sort of thing, especially with visas near to expiry. You would expect the carrier to prevent you from boarding the flight. – Gayot Fow Jun 10 '16 at 17:03
  • Is there any chance they would issue a short (30 day) visa? – Jonathan Parker Jun 10 '16 at 17:22
  • Yes, you can ask for a single-entry, time-limited visa. It will cost the same and require the same application. But absolutely yes. You can also ask for a territorial restriction as well. Same price, same application, same processing, etc. – Gayot Fow Jun 10 '16 at 17:29
  • If it helps the application to specify a single short visa, that would be brilliant - I literally only need the schengen visa for the relevant 7 days. – Jonathan Parker Jun 10 '16 at 17:35
  • Edit your question to include the new info and someone will be along to put in a fleshed-out "formal" answer for you. Thanks – Gayot Fow Jun 10 '16 at 17:50