I am a South African living in the Netherlands on a residence permit.

My husband is Dutch, and we are going on holiday to South Africa. I have a flight booked back from South Africa to Amsterdam, via Heathrow.

Do I need a transit visa for the UK? The gov.uk site is not clear about how my Dutch residence permit would apply - and it's very expensive if I do need a visa!

  • 4
    See also travel.stackexchange.com/questions/27006/…. You do not need a transit visa because of your residence permit. The information is hard to find, but I don't find it unclear. If you can point out something that you find particularly unclear, please edit your question to explain. – phoog Jun 9 '16 at 21:21
  • 1
    On the visa checker it says you need one unless exempt; one exemption is "a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland" – phoog Jun 9 '16 at 21:23
  • 2
    I don't think you need a visa but if you would, I see no reason you could not apply for an EEA family permit. Still a hassle and potentially long delays but it should at least be free of charge. – Relaxed Jun 9 '16 at 21:35
  • @Relaxed you are absolutely correct, an EEA family permit would be an option and is free. Of course, the main issue here is boarding the plane. Once they're in the UK, since they're traveling together, they will both be covered by freedom of movement, no EEA FP needed. – phoog Jun 9 '16 at 23:04