From what I've read, an IDP is not needed for US residents when visiting Sweden. However, there was some indication that an IDP might be needed when renting a car. Is there any definitive answer to whether an IDP is needed to rent in Sweden for a US citizen? Maybe I should contact the specific rental location / bring one just to be safe?

I also see that I need to have had my US license for at least 2 years. This is not a problem; I've had a license for 7. However, I renewed it a little over a year ago. I assume they look at more than the "issued" date on the card?

I'm 25. I will be renting for 3 days.

Edit: I called the specific place that I will be renting at and they told me that I do not need an IDP.

  • European/EU format licenses also show the date you initially passed the exam. Is there something like that on yours?
    – Relaxed
    Commented Jun 8, 2016 at 18:12
  • 1
    @Relaxed There is no "initially licensed" indication. Just the date issued, which is usually done for 4 years.
    – Karlson
    Commented Jun 8, 2016 at 18:20
  • 1
    @Relaxed Sorry, afk for lunch. What Karlson said is true. There is no "initially licensed" date. My card is issued for 6 years though, so that's slightly different.
    – Sol Re
    Commented Jun 8, 2016 at 18:58
  • @Karlson New York is issuing 8-year licenses these days, or at least they were six years ago.
    – phoog
    Commented Jun 8, 2016 at 21:27
  • @phoog Most states don't to the best of my knowledge.
    – Karlson
    Commented Jun 8, 2016 at 21:31

2 Answers 2


The short answer in your case is, no you don't need one

Unlike some countries Sweden doesn't require you to have an IDP before you can drive there, however you do need a valid license to drive and in case yours had been in a language other than English (see Requirements section) you'd need to have an IDP, which is just a translation of your national driving license.


As a holder of a non-EEA licence, you do not need an IDP if and only if your license is in English, German or French.

Meaning, you will not need one.

  • What if your license is not in one of those three languages but is a common-format EU license?
    – phoog
    Commented Jun 8, 2016 at 21:28
  • 2
    Your nationality is completely irrelevant here. Important is the issuing state of the driver's license. Commented Jun 9, 2016 at 10:21
  • Absolutely right, I don't know what I was thinking when putting it like that. Yes, all EEA licences are valid without an IDP, non-EEA ones only if in English, German or French
    – Crazydre
    Commented Jun 13, 2016 at 23:20

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .