I'm having a vacation in Paris with my girlfriend. She is a Russian exchange student but studying/living until September in Germany. Unfortunately, her bag including the German visa got stolen. Our flight goes back to Germany on Tuesday and I'd like to know if it is possible to get European emergency travel document with this admitted German national visa.

She doesn't have any kind of proof of identity right know but I have the flight tickets. We also received a note from police station proving that the passport/visa got stolen. Also, should we go to German or Russian embassy in this case?

  • 20
    Presumably you should contact the Russian embassy for the passport and the German embassy for the visa, which are different things. And of course the police for the stolen bag.
    – fkraiem
    Jun 6, 2016 at 2:49
  • does she know her Russian passport number? German visa number?
    – Gayot Fow
    Jun 6, 2016 at 3:08
  • 2
    @phoog the Russians can look it up, but not the police. And it takes time. This question might be better suited for expats as they have competence in students.
    – Gayot Fow
    Jun 6, 2016 at 4:02
  • 1
    Hey guys. The situation is still confusing. Russian consulate created her an ID with a picture. That should work as a ticket to Russia but the main consultant said that the ID and the police report could help her to get to the plane. German embassy was not allowed to create a new visa and they didn't help us at all. "Not our deal" they said..Now we are trying to contact german consulate in Russia that created the Visa for a copy. Other option is to cross the border with a bus where they don't probably ask the visa... Painful bureaucracy.
    – Toni
    Jun 6, 2016 at 14:07
  • 1
    They might not check Visas on a "domestic" EU flight
    – Dhara
    Jun 7, 2016 at 7:42

1 Answer 1


1: Contact police, which you have done.

2: Contact the Russian Embassy in Paris about obtaining an emergency travel document and starting the process of replacing the lost passport - +33 1 45 04 05 50

3: Call the airline and ask what they will accept in lieu of the passport for boarding the flight back to Germany.

4: Contact German Immigration and find out the steps to replace your visa and/or entry permission.

5: In the future take a photo of the front page of your passport and any applicable visas and email them to yourself or store them online somewhere to have as back ups in case this happens.

  • 20
    Also, when two people are traveling together each can pack a photocopy of the other person's documents. Jun 6, 2016 at 3:36
  • 10
    Also important, a picture of my son with what he's wearing before departure.
    – Gayot Fow
    Jun 6, 2016 at 7:28
  • 6
    It's not exactly the most secure thing to have your passport and basically all your personal details stored on someone else's computer (the cloud) Jun 6, 2016 at 9:14
  • 4
    @GayotFow: I would absolutely not keep any of that in the cloud (i.e. on other people's computers), but on a USB stick in your pocket, printed in your hotel room safe, stored on your laptop, and stored on a server that you control on the internet as a last resort. Jun 6, 2016 at 9:44
  • 13
    @LightnessRacesinOrbit Ever checked into a flight or hotel and shown your passport as you did so? Congratulations, your data is already in someone's cloud. Jun 6, 2016 at 12:39

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .