I had a USA B1/B2 visa on my cancelled passport which is valid until 2020. I had made a new passport with my husband's name and new address after marriage. Do I need to apply for the visa again to visit the USA ?

  • What is a cancelled passport? Is it expired?
    – JoErNanO
    Jun 3, 2016 at 10:30
  • No when i made a new passport they stamped the previous one cancelled
    – Supreet
    Jun 3, 2016 at 10:34
  • @phoog Would it be an idea to mark the other one as a duplicate of this one, considering the much better answer this one now has?
    – Belle
    Jun 3, 2016 at 17:23
  • @J.Constantine I would leave that decision to the moderators.
    – phoog
    Jun 3, 2016 at 17:35
  • @J.Constantine The answer seem more or less identical to me and the answer to the other question contains more direct quotation from official documents than this one. Jun 19, 2016 at 7:46

1 Answer 1


You can't nor should transfer the visa to the new passport. What you should do is travel with both passports, and a copy of your marriage certificate, when seeking entry into the USA:

Q.4 I currently hold a valid B-1/B-2 visa, which is in my maiden name, in my old passport. I wish to transfer this visa to my new passport, which is in my married name. What is the procedure?

U.S. visas cannot be transferred from one passport to another. You can travel to the United States with both passports as well as your marriage certificate, or you can apply for a new visa.

In addition, you should not try to remove the visa from one passport with the purpose of sticking it on the new passport.

However, you should obtain a different visa if your purpose of travel in the USA has changed since you applied for the B1/B2 visa.

  • If i donot apply for the visa again . Carrying both the passport and marriage certificate will solve the purpose?
    – Supreet
    Jun 3, 2016 at 13:26

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .