Due to a long story, I'd like to bring an authentic Australian kangaroo nutsack wallet as a gag gift to a colleague in Seattle, Washington:

enter image description here

But can I legally import this, and do I need to declare it? For avoidance of doubt, yes, that's an actual kangaroo scrotum, tanned and processed into leather.

I'm aware that California has recently (Jan 1, 2016) chosen to ban all kangaroo products, but this is a different state and not a federal regulation. A search on cbp.gov was also less than helpful.

  • 2
    Bring an extra for me also
    – Gayot Fow
    May 26 '16 at 11:10
  • 6
    @GayotFow Next round of Travel.SE schwag: sorted! May 26 '16 at 11:16
  • 4
    +1 for 'gag gift'. I have one of these- not really big enough to put anything of value into it (unless you're a kangaroo, of course). May 26 '16 at 15:50

Products made from the common eastern gray kangaroo and red kangaroo are generally permitted to be imported into the US, though products from threatened and endangered kangaroo species are not.

You do need to declare it to Customs. It would be helpful if the product includes documentation of what species of kangaroo it was made from, though if it was something sold as a tourist souvenir in Australia, it will likely not be something of concern.

See this FAQ entry from the Fish and Wildlife Service, shown here in relevant part:

Do I need a permit to import, export, or re-export kangaroo hides or hide products? The eastern gray kangaroo (Macropus giganteus) and red kangaroo (M. rufus) are not listed under CITES or the ESA. Other species of kangaroos, rat-kangaroos, tree kangaroos, and wallabies may be listed. Click here for a fact sheet on CITES and ESA.

  • To import, export, or re-export hides or hide products from the eastern gray or red kangaroo, you do not need a CITES or ESA permit from us. You should check with the Australian wildlife authorities if importing directly from Australia.
  • If you are importing kangaroo hides or products for your personal use in your accompanying baggage, you must declare the items on the Customs declaration form.

And of course I suggest not making anywhere in California your port of entry.

  • Why not California?
    – CMaster
    May 26 '16 at 10:41
  • @CMaster See the question. May 26 '16 at 10:42
  • 1
    Flying Oz to West coast USA without entering in CA sounds like a whole new fun question. I think you'd have to land at DFW
    – Peter M
    May 26 '16 at 12:01
  • 5
    @PeterM Hawaiian Airlines, SYD-HNL-SEA. As a bonus, these are usually the cheapest or nearly the cheapest tickets! May 26 '16 at 12:06
  • I forgot about itineraries like that. I generally have to trade off price for shorter duration in order to keep my spouse from harming me when we fly east coast USA to Oz
    – Peter M
    May 26 '16 at 12:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.