I got a schengen tourist visa for austria type C single entry and visa remark vis does that mean i can visit other other schengen countries during my travel ? I am planning to go to Germany and Switzerland will there be any problems ?

Edit: i am going student exhange first in austria then going to the other countries

  • It's your 2nd visa, right? Hence "VIS". Ignore it. But does your itinerary include Austria? Or more probingly, why chose Austria if you are going to Germany and Switzerland?
    – Gayot Fow
    May 24 '16 at 10:59
  • Oh yeah i forgot to say i was going for student exchange in austria first sry😅 and yeah its my 2nd time
    – Kaddah
    May 24 '16 at 11:39
  • Does this mean that it's ok to go other countries after austria ?
    – Kaddah
    May 24 '16 at 11:42
  • @Kaddah it's not about before or after - it's about whether you mentioned it in your application.
    – CMaster
    May 24 '16 at 11:45
  • I mentioned i would like to travel at weekend and at the end but i didmt specify which countries in specific
    – Kaddah
    May 24 '16 at 12:58

You have a type "C" single-entry Schengen visa issued by Austria for a student programme there.

does that mean i can visit other other schengen countries during my travel?

Yes, of course you may. A single entry Schengen initializes at the time of your entry into the zone and is fully consumed when you exit the zone. There are no controls within the zone and if the "Valid for" section of your visa is marked "Schengener Staaten" (German for "Schengen States") then you are free to move about the zone without restriction regardless if it is a weekend or not. If it does not have this type of validity, then you have a restricted movement visa and are constrained to only the locations listed in the "Valid for" field.

and visa remark vis

This entry (i.e., "VIS") stands for "Visa Information System" and means you were not required to submit biometrics because your last successful application was within 5 years. You can ignore it.


When you applied for your Schengen visa, you had to explain the premise of your visit and to provide supporting documentation. If you try to use your visa for a completely different purpose, you may be refused entry.

Example: If you have a single entry Schengen visa for all states from Italy for a tourist trip to Italy and Greece and show up at the Russian-Norwegian border, there may be questions. Unless you live in northern Russia, then going through Norway could be reasonable.

When you are in the Schengen area, there are usually no internal border controls. You can enter any Schengen state which broadly matches the premise of your trip.

Example: If you have a single-entry Schengen visa for all states from Austria for a study trip to Austria, you can decide to enter the Schengen area at Frankfurt airport in Germany, take an internal Schengen flight to Austria, do weekend trips to Switzerland and back to Germany, as long as the main purpose of your visit is still the study visit in Austria. That is all a single entry to the Schengen area.

  • 1
    I realize that visas of "limited territorial validity" are supposed to be very rare, and probably are, but it seems like one still ought to tell people to check the "valid for" line at the top of the visa, to make sure it says SCHENGENER STAATEN, before making plans to travel to other Schengen countries.
    – phoog
    May 24 '16 at 20:46
  • @phoog, I've added it.
    – o.m.
    May 25 '16 at 5:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.