I have a J-1 to start mid June 2016. I entered the USA to travel 28 days before its start date and had to get an ESTA. At the border they wouldnt do anything with my j1 as I am visiting at the moment. How do I get the authorisation for my J-1 while I am in the USA?

  • Are you close to a border? Could you bus out and in again, maybe a day in Vancouver/Tijuana/Toronto, for example? – Mark Mayo May 21 '16 at 10:00
  • So are you saying I have to leave and re-enter? Can it not be done within the USA. I got my j-1 in Toronto (was studying in Canada but I am British) so all ok and I understood I could enter the USA within 30 days of the j-1 starting – suel May 21 '16 at 10:07
  • I don't actually know, otherwise I'd have posted an answer. But generally the easiest way is to exit/reenter for changing visas, in my experience, even my Vancouver flatmates went to the border on a Monday night, 'left' and reentered on their new visa. There may be other easier ways, but it was more to open options. – Mark Mayo May 21 '16 at 10:09
  • Thanks for the advice. It's so confusing. When you are told you can enter within 30 days but it's not made clear what happens about the j-1! – suel May 21 '16 at 10:19
  • 1
    "I had got a different visa on for visiting": what does that mean? What kind of visa was it? It sounds a bit like the border agent may have screwed up. What are the program dates on your DS-2019 and what are the dates on your J-1 visa? – phoog May 22 '16 at 3:57

The procedure you are referring to is called a Change of Status (CoS in us-immigarion speak). It is explicitly forbidden to do a CoS, when admitted via visa waiver (ESTA) (see previous link as well).

The best way would be go out of the country for a short while (Canada, Mexico, most of the Caribbean islands), obligatory surrendering your I-94W (if you are given any) and reentering on J-1 in time. When entering U.S. you will have to specifically request being admitted as J-1. They will likely send you through a secondary inspection (if entering by land), talk to you, and issue you a paper I94w (if entering by land). Remember to keep it with you and surrender upon leaving the U.S.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.