I like to travel to Mexico from India for a business purpose,

While I have a valid US B-1 visa, I don't have a Mexican visa. Can I fly directly to Mexico, or should I land in US first to get an I-94 card, and then travel to Mexico?

What is maximum length of stay in both cases?


Let's ask our good friends at Timatic, which is what the airline will do when deciding whether you can board:

Passport required.


Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid on arrival.


Visa required, except for Passengers with a valid visa issued by Canada, Japan, USA, United Kingdom or a Schengen Member State for a maximum stay of 180 days. ...


Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused entry.

Based on this, you should be able to visit for up to 180 days if you have a valid passport, a return ticket, and a valid US B-1 visa. There does not appear to be any requirement to go to the US and get an I-94 first.

You'll wind up with a Mexican FMM form, the cost of which will likely be included in your plane ticket.

Note that if your flight has a layover anywhere between India and Mexico, you'll have to comply with any applicable immigration requirements there as well.

| improve this answer | |
  • Do I get multiple entry card?? – Prashanth MP May 21 '16 at 14:55

You should be able to fly directly to Mexico. There's no mention anywhere that US visa holders can only enjoy the visa exemption if they enter from the US, nor that they need an I-94.

(Thanks are due to Zach Lipton, who pointed me to the sources in his comment below).

| improve this answer | |
  • There are seemingly legit sources out there (and some of our previous questions) that say that holders of a valid US visa do not need a Mexican visa to enter for tourist, business, or transit purposes. I've never done it and don't know all the details so I didn't post an answer, but it appears the OP has a path that doesn't require a Mexican visa. – Zach Lipton May 21 '16 at 4:24
  • @ZachLipton interesting. I found none of those sources just now, and it's certainly not mentioned on Wikipedia. – phoog May 21 '16 at 4:29
  • It surprised me too. Anyway, we've both gone and answered now at the exact same time, so I think we're covered. – Zach Lipton May 21 '16 at 4:36
  • @ZachLipton I would say that an official Mexican government website is a little more than seemingly legit. The complete visa requirements and exemptions are also on the INM website. – Michael Hampton May 21 '16 at 8:04
  • @MichaelHampton What's a little understatement? One odd thing is that Timatic says that holders of valid visas from Canada, Japan, USA, UK, or any Schengen country don't need a Mexican visa, while the IMM page you linked says that US visa holders don't need Mexican visas, but for the other countries you need "[un] documento que acredite residencia permanente," which is a more stringent requirement. In any case, all sources seem to indicate that the OP is fine with a valid US visa. – Zach Lipton May 21 '16 at 8:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.