Per Schengen visa requirements (article 15) any traveler must have a medical insurance with 30000 EUR coverage. The permanent resident in the US has BlueShield/Bluecross coverage with the BlueCard Worldwide® Program. A letter is needed stating that the said person has coverage and appropriate benefits.

A call to Bluecard resulted in nothing. They do not know what is this all about as majority of their customers are US citizens, not permanent residents.

Additionally, I found information about a Canadian person that was able to request a letter from HR and about a possiblity to get the similar letter from the credit card you used to buy your ticket.

How to obtain one? Does this coverage verification letter has some name one can refer to? Whom do I need to contact?


Living in the US, with a Green Card, I had to do the same thing for visas some months ago [you again? me again!].

Fortunately, our HR department was able to provide this (by calling the Health Insurance and getting it - the letter was from the Health insurance).

Note that the letter did not fulfill the technical requirements (naming the insured amount and so on), but they told me it would be fine, and it was fine.

That does not mean something like that will work for you, but it probably would.

  • It may be different from one Schengen country's consular service to the next.
    – phoog
    May 20 '16 at 1:09
  • My HR said they provided such letter ~4years ago. I will let you know how it worked out
    – mzu
    May 20 '16 at 5:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.