Could you kindly clarify if the NIE card issued by the Spanish government is equivalent to a "Common format residence permit issued by EEA member?"

I am an Indian student, studying in Spain.

My layover at London airport is only for 2 hours. Do I require any kind of visa?

1 Answer 1


The common-format card looks like this (found with an internet search):

enter image description here

If your card does not look like this, it isn't a common-format residence permit. However, you may hold another document that exempts you from the transit visa requirement; see Is there a way to find out if I need a transit visa for a layover in the UK?

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .