I'm a non-EU citizen (Russian) working as a volunteer in Denmark and have received a Danish residence permit (type J), valid until December. Can I travel within the Schengen Area without visa right now?

1 Answer 1


Yes, a residence permit from one Schengen country implicitly gives you the rights to travel within/through the rest of the Schengen area much as if you had a multiple-entry short-stay visa.

You have to comply with the usual 90/180 day rule for days you're in a Schengen country that is not Denmark, but enforcement of this is mostly by the honor system since your passport won't get stamped when traveling between Schengen countries.

  • 1
    Just a note that with the current/on-going migration crises happening all over Europe (mostly to the South), there may be more "random" stops and/or checkpoints at various borders. This doesn't change the answer as given, but just be aware.
    – CGCampbell
    May 12, 2016 at 12:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.