I am trying to book a hotel in Oxford, UK. I have been informed by my travel agent that the Holiday Inn needs my partner's exact name on their passport or drivers license, she has neither, any suggestions?

  • 1
    No other photo ID? – Nean Der Thal May 11 '16 at 19:21
  • 1
    Is your partner from the UK? Is she going to be turning up on her own to take the room, or will the booking be in your name? – Andrew May 11 '16 at 19:23
  • 6
    It's unlikely that the travel agent has ever been to a Holiday Inn. If your partner is a UK resident, then no ID will be required. – Calchas May 11 '16 at 20:45
  • 3
    The hotel business would go bankrupt if they made all the women guests show ID. – Andrew Lazarus May 11 '16 at 21:47
  • A load of old balls. Have your friend go to the Registry Office and get the long form birth certificate. Assuming she is a Brit. – Gayot Fow May 12 '16 at 1:34

According to The Immigration (Hotel Records) Order 1972

4.—(1) Every person of or over the age of 16 years who stays at any premises to which this Order applies shall, on arriving at the premises, inform the keeper of the premises of his full name and nationality.

(2) Every such person who is an alien shall also—

(a)on arriving at the premises, inform the keeper of the premises of the number and place of issue of his passport, certificate of registration or other document establishing his identity and nationality

Since the OP's partner has neither a passport nor driving licence, and presumably no other national identity document, this indicates that they are likely to be a UK citizen who does not need to provide identification according to law. However, the hotel may have more stringent conditions. I find this unlikely since UK citizens do not require identity cards, and may not drive.

It is likely that the hotel will ask for a passport or driving licence if the occupant provides a foreign address since the assumption will be that they are not UK citizens. Providing a UK home address will usually prevent this being an issue.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.