I know that a US citizen could potentially remain in the UK for up to 6 months on travel. However, I'm also sure that this wouldn't allow them to work while here. If someone were to be visiting the UK for this long, are there legal ways to earn an income while in the UK for 6 months of travel?
Working on a Standard Visitor Visa
- do paid or unpaid work
- live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits
- get public funds
- marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership
Working in the UK
To work in the UK you'll have to apply for the appropriate Work Visa. There are some exceptions to this for US citizens coming into the UK for less than 6 months with the purpose of working, provided:
You don’t need a visa if you’re coming to the UK for activities allowed under the following visas:
- a Standard Visitor visa - eg if you’re coming to the UK for conferences, meetings, training, academic research or a sabbatical
- a ‘permitted paid engagement’ (you must have been invited to the UK because of your expertise) - you can only stay for up to 1 month
However, you should bring supporting documents to show at the border.
Depending on your nationality you can apply for a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa:
- want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years
- are aged 18 to 30
- have £1,890 in savings
- have certain types of British Nationality or are from certain countries
- meet the other eligibility requirements
Currently allowed nationalities:-
- New Zealand
- Hong Kong
- Republic of Korea
I have copied only some portions from the website. For full details do visit the website as that will be the most authentic source of information.