I hold a US Business visa (Indian citizen). I am travelling to the US from India and taking a layover in Italy for two days. So my travel plan is as follows:
- New Delhi to Rome
- Will stay in Rome for one day
- Flying from Rome to Venice
- Staying one more day in Venice
- Flying from Venice to US (Seattle)
I can't apply for a Schengen visa due to shortage of time. I searched a little bit on "Italy Transit Visa" and got to know that there are three types of categories:
- Transit Visa-A: or Airport Transit Visa: If your connecting flight to your destination is in the next couple of hours (not more than 12 hours / Not sure) from the same Airport. You might need to apply for such a visa (Some countries' citizens are obliged to stay in the airport area without having an Airport transit visa).
- Transit Visa-B: Destined for the travellers planning to travel through different Schengen countries by car or travel through different Schengen airports to a non-Schengen country for as a final destination. Under the transit visa one is allowed to reside in a Schengen area for a maximum of 5 days.
Reference: Information about Schengen Visa
I also read that If you have a valid US visa then you don't need to take an Airport Transit Visa (Same if your citizenship comes into the following cities). Is it also valid for the B-Category as well?
My travel plans won't take more than 5 days. Am I applicable for Transit Visa-B. If yes, then can I apply for this visa on arrival in Italy?