For anyone familiar with the passport process in the United States: I have a (valid, i.e. non-expired, etc.) passport card. However, as I will be traveling out of the continent I need a passport book. My first guess was to use the DS-11 form for a new passport book, but upon completing the state.gov's online application, it created a DS-82 form out of my information, and requested that I send my passport card along with a check and this form to the appropriate address.

My question is: is this a valid method of obtaining a passport book, even if I've never owned a passport book before? I thought if I never had a book I must fill out DS-11. But does my passport card count as a variant of this, so getting a book is like "renewing" in a way? I do not wish to renew my passport card since it did not expire.



I thought if I never had a book I must fill out DS-11.

But you had a passport. That is enough. Nowhere does the official renew page make a distinction between book and card. It also says:

You can renew your passport even if it has not expired.

And the first two steps to

Submit a U.S. Passport Application by Mail (from within the United States):

  1. Fill Out Form DS-82: Application For A U.S. Passport by Mail
  2. Submit your most recent U.S. passport book and/or card

Emphasis mine. You do not need or want a DS-11 as that is for:

Application for a U.S. Passport (for all first-time applicants, all minors, and applicants who are not eligible to use the DS-82)

So yes, you send in the DS-82 and the card and get a passport book. This is indeed a renewal.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.