I am a medical doctor in Pakistan. I have been on a career break to allow myself to study full time for the IELTS exam (from which I recently got the required band score) and PLAB 1. I have now registered and paid for the PLAB 1 exam in UK for June 2016, as the next sitting in Pakistan is in November 2016 and I feel like I am ready to do the exam sooner.

Due to having no current employment, my savings are limited (around 25,000 Pakistani Rupees) but I live with my parents and do not have any financial commitments at home. My savings have depleted in the past ten months whilst I have taken a career break and the money has been used for my own personal expenses. My trip to the UK is being funded by my grandfather who is a British citizen. He is a retired doctor with a good NHS pension. He has provided me with:

  • 6 months bank statements which clearly show his pension deposits
  • Letter from NHS Pensions stating his pension
  • Sponsorship letter stating that he will pay for my PLAB exam fee, travel, accommodation and subsistinence costs whilst in the UK
  • Copy of British passport
  • Document confirming that he owns the house he lives in mortgage-free
  • Confirmation email from GMC stating he has paid the PLAB exam fee.

Without large personal savings and no current job (but I have job offers now) would my application be rejected or is the strong sponsorship going to be good enough?

Are there any other documents I should consider submitting that may help me get a visa?

  • 1
  • 2
    The part that says "...they do not relieve the applicant of demonstrating ties..."
    – Gayot Fow
    Apr 28, 2016 at 22:04
  • 2
    You said your grandfather is a British citizen, settled in the UK. Is it possible that one of your parents is a British citizen? If this is true, then it might be that you are already a British citizen (by descent or otherwise). You may wish to investigate this possibility. Apr 29, 2016 at 1:55
  • @MichaelHampton, nice call.
    – Gayot Fow
    Apr 29, 2016 at 3:58
  • Thank you for your reply. Do you think I should submit my Fathers rental agreement for the property we live at including payment receipts/bank statements to show he is paying rent in property I live at with my family?
    – Mangal
    Apr 29, 2016 at 6:05

1 Answer 1


According to gov.uk, you need to show the following for a Standard Visitor Visa:

  1. you’ll leave the UK at the end of your visit

  2. you’re able to support yourself and any dependents for the duration of your trip

  3. you’re able to pay for your return or onward journey and any other costs relating to your visit

  4. you have proof of any business or other activities you want to do in the UK, as allowed by the Visitor Rules

For 1, I would suggest documents detailing job offers (if outside the UK) and a letter from your parents saying you have been living there and will return (if this is the case). The letter from your Grandfather along with his bank statements should tick 2 and 3 (read this document Section 4 about sending too many documents). For 4, you are required (here) to have a letter (I would definitely recommend hard-copy) from the GMC that you are entered for the exam. As regards whether you will be approved, as a well-qualified doctor with family in the UK I see no reason why not. But the only way to find out is to apply.

  • He is my mother's uncle. So not my direct grandfather.
    – Mangal
    Apr 29, 2016 at 10:57

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .