I am H1B visa holder working in Illinois USA . My wife an son have H4 Visa and my mom has a visitor visa for USA. All of us have Indian citizenship. I want to travel by road to Niagara Falls from Illinois, USA via Canada. I might need to halt for a night maybe in US or Canada (definitely not exceeding 48 hours in Canada) if required by my mom and son.

I am also planning to take the same route while coming back to Illinois, USA.

What kind of visa is required ?

  • The aspect of this question which the current answer doesn't address and which I couldn't find any answer to online is transit vs tourist visas. Would for example someone traveling to the US side of niagra falls via Canada be regarded as a legitimate transit case or not. – Peter Green Oct 2 '17 at 17:06
  • @PeterGreen Canadian transit visas are only valid for travel where you enter and leave Canada by air. – Jacob Horbulyk Oct 2 '17 at 18:55

Irrespective of the method of entry you will need a visa.

You can check your eligibility on the CIC Website as well as apply online for it.

Generally speaking if you're driving on the road 4 hours that you spend in Canada doesn't warrant needing to stay anywhere along the route. it is also possible that depending on where you're driving from in Illinois your best route to Niagara Falls may not be through Canada.

  • Going south of Lake Erie adds about 45mins to the journey from Chicago. – DJClayworth Apr 22 '16 at 21:21
  • @DJClayworth Starting from Metropolis, IL doesn't, same for East St. Louis. – Karlson Apr 22 '16 at 21:24
  • His desired destination may be Niagara Falls, Ontario no matter which side of Lake Erie he travels. I would assume this if the trip is for sightseeing since that side of the river has more going on. – Dennis Apr 22 '16 at 22:08
  • @Dennis Again. The issue was about getting there be it on US or Canadian side of the Falls but still Illinois is a big state and driving from the northern parts differs to doing so from the southern part of the state while you end up at the same destination. So yes the view from Canadian side is better but getting there may only involve crossing border at Rainbow Bridge. – Karlson Apr 22 '16 at 22:11
  • @Karlson, that's true, just saying that the entry requirements crossing the Rainbow bridge for a several hour stay are the same as those for crossing at Detroit for a several day stay, so if they're traveling for tourism they might want visas regardless of the route. If the destination is just Niagara Falls, NY, however, then never mind. – Dennis Apr 23 '16 at 1:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.