I'm a 16-year-old wanting to go alone to Tokyo for three to four weeks, around July. As to be expected, my parents are concerned about my safety while overseas.

A standard hotel is not going to cut it. More precisely, there would need to be a "guardian" or some kind of manager on the spot, someone that would for example: make sure I'm there at night, would be able to give directions or advice about "red-light"/dangerous places in town, be able to call the police if things go down the fan, and be reachable by my parents. Basically, be a link and a guarantee for them.

My first guess would be a youth hostel, but as a kind of "lone wolf" I would rather be in a more private-ish place (a room for one).

Is there any place in Tokyo that offers this kind of service ? If so, could you name it ?

Otherwise, do you think I'm better off looking for homestay or just deal with it and find a hostel?

I've already sent a mail to Sakura Hotels in order to know for them, and I will update if I find anything.

  • Most Japanese hostels offer private rooms if you're willing to pay a bit extra. Commented Feb 22, 2017 at 6:24

1 Answer 1


If you want to go the homestay route (which I think would be by far the best in your situation), I have had luck on this site (but maybe that was just luck, I have used it only once).

There is a small fee to be able to send e-mails to potential hosts (probably to cover the website costs), but you only need to do it for the first e-mail, after that they will (hopefully) answer you by e-mail and you no longer need to go through the site. Note that many hosts accept only females.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .