I have an approved E-3 (non-immigrant) visa (basically an H-1B for Australians), but my partner (not married) was only granted a B1/B2 (tourist) visa.
Visa processing happens on entry to the USA, for us that will be at LAX.
How long should I allow between arrival time at LAX and the departure time of the next leg (via transit, luggage checked through, no security screen) out of LAX?
I have been told to allow 4 hours (and I've found a flight around then), but there's a flight departing 2.5 hours after arrival which would be better if it's enough time.
Does anyone have any experience or opinion on typical visa processing times?
More details requested from comments:
- Arriving on Qantas Melbourne->LA direct
- Domestic legs LA->Seattle (both earlier and later options) Alaskan Airlines
- Flights booked one one ticket, so luggage will be checked all the way through and we'll be in transit lounge LA
- All visas in passports, approved, stamped, etc
- No "brown envelope visa pack"
- All visas have expiry dates of 2 years from entry, but I was advised by the embassy here that my wife will (almost certainly) be given at least 6 months initially, but we can ask for 1 year and there's a good chance that will be granted
- There are also 2 small kids involved - they both have E-3Ds (E-3 dependents) also in passports, approved and stamped