This summer I will be in the US on a J-1 visa program, and will be there for a few weeks after the program ends (as I have a 30 day window to leave). I then plan to be in Canada for a few days, and spend the next 23 days in the US, before returning to the UK. Would I be able to come back in on an ESTA?

If not, what are my options?

I am a British citizen, studying as an undergraduate in the UK at present.

  • Does your visa show the 2-year exclusion? Apr 6 '16 at 19:55
  • Are you planning to re-enter by land or by air? (You don't need an ESTA to enter by land.)
    – chx
    Apr 7 '16 at 1:24
  • I will be re-entering by air, and my visa does not show the 2 year exclusion. Apr 7 '16 at 2:00

The two-year rule means that you have to be physically present outside the US for a minimum total of two years before you can obtain H, L or K Status, or become a permanent resident, be it by means of a visa obtained at an embassy or change of status through the USCIS.

It does not prevent you from entering the US as a visitor under the VWP. In other words, although you are apparently not subject to the 2-year rule, even if you were you would be able to visit.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.