I'm from the Philippines and will have a project assignment in Montreal for 3 years. Can I apply for US visa there? how? I'd like to cross to NYC for a few days tour.

  • 1
    Will you be on a work visa in Montreal or a permanent residence ?
    – blackbird
    Apr 5, 2016 at 15:19
  • @blackbird57 why would that make a difference?
    – phoog
    Apr 7, 2016 at 7:02

1 Answer 1


Assuming you have a long term visa or a permanent residence status in Canada, you can apply for a visitor visa from Montreal at the US consulate general. A friend of mine who lived here on a work visa was able to apply for a visitor visa a few years ago.

The State Department's website doesn't mention any requirement where you can apply, other than your place of permanent residence.

You must schedule an appointment for your visa interview, generally, at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live. You may schedule your interview at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate, but be aware that it may be difficult to qualify for a visa outside of your place of permanent residence.

The rest of the application is the same formality anywhere and you can do most of it online. You can see all their requirements here

  • i will be on a work visa
    – Mae Aying
    Apr 5, 2016 at 16:42
  • Applying in the place of residence is not a requirement, as the quoted material makes clear.
    – phoog
    Apr 7, 2016 at 7:04

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .