I have a scientific research invitation letter from a french research institute.

However, the purpose of this invitation is to make presentations as a part of Ph.D application process.

so if I am accepted after this presentations as a Ph.D student, then I will proceed with a long stay research visa.

But my question is what is the appropriate kind of visa that I should apply for now, for this short stay visit.

closed as unclear what you're asking by chx, JoErNanO, blackbird, CGCampbell, Mark Mayo Apr 6 '16 at 6:42

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 4
    What's your citizenship. How long are you staying. Are you going to be paid. Is that invitation a formal euraxess hosting agreement. – chx Apr 5 '16 at 8:14
  • I have a feeling this question might be better suited for expats.SE as it is not really about travel? – mts Apr 5 '16 at 8:52
  • As it stands it is impossible to answer or decide. I am voting to close as unclear what you're asking. – chx Apr 5 '16 at 15:40

You need to apply for a normal, short stay visa. The purpose of your trip (question number 21) should be "OTHER" and you should type "Academic Conference"; as none of the choices apply. These are:

  • Tourism
  • Business
  • Visiting family or friends
  • Cultural
  • Sports
  • Official Visit
  • Medical Reasons
  • Study
  • Transit
  • Airport Transit
  • Other

You can provide the invitation letter as part of your supporting documents; along with the normal requirements for such a visit:

  1. Proof of financial means / support
  2. Hotel accommodations for the period of your stay
  3. Travel reservation for the period of your stay
  4. Insurance suitable for Schengen visa purposes and valid for the period of your stay.
  5. Valid passport
  6. Letter of employment (if applicable)

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.