The situation is as follows:

  • My girlfriend and I (24 and 22) are going on holiday for 28 days
  • We're starting and finishing our trip in Las Vegas
  • We want to rent a car for those ~27 days and have a CDW insurance
  • I have a company code at National/Enterprise which won't charge an underage fee (so I could get a car for about $800)
  • National offers (only) LDW, but it is very expensive (another $800)

So I was wondering whether there is a cheaper way to get a CDW/LDW (both of us are German). Perhaps either a suitable credit card or some third-party insurance? The price of $800 seems incredibly high to me.

What is the best practice in that case?

closed as off-topic by CMaster, blackbird, CGCampbell, chx, JoErNanO Apr 5 '16 at 9:08

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on price-shopping for specific goods or services are off-topic as prices and availability change frequently in many locations. See: What is a shopping question?" – CMaster, blackbird, CGCampbell, chx, JoErNanO
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    Get it third party. There are loads of "car hire excess" insurers out there. – CMaster Apr 4 '16 at 15:47
  • Any recommendations? (From a stranger in the internet :D) – AnatraIlDuck Apr 4 '16 at 15:52
  • 1
    Or book it from a European website, it might be directly included and cheaper. In general, spend time comparing prices. – Vince Apr 4 '16 at 16:39
  • Well then I couldn't profit from the code anymore – AnatraIlDuck Apr 4 '16 at 17:21

Some possible strategies include:

  1. Check the figures from national. $800 for 28 days CDW seems excessive, but maybe that's how they are compensating for giving you a deal on driver age.
  2. If you have auto-insurance at home, see if they will add worldwide coverage for rental cars to your policy. If they do it will be less than $800.
  3. Get separate insurance to cover rental vehicles. There are plenty out there, and none are as expensive as $800.
  4. Find a credit card that offers CDW as a perk if you rent the car with it. In North America there are plenty such cards, with fees much less than the cost of CDW.
  • 1. This is $30/day, I found a website saying, that this is the maximum allowed amount. 2. Not the case. 3. Are they reliable? Any long and well known, reliable names? 4. We'll probably do that... Will I have to take photos of the whole car when renting in order not to get ripped off? – AnatraIlDuck Apr 4 '16 at 21:06
  • 4. No, that is only in Germany, where they charge you for every ant bite. In the US, when any damage is smaller than 15 cm diameter, it is ignored. – Aganju Apr 4 '16 at 22:31
  • 1
    There are stories of people being charged for non-existent or pre-existing damage in North America. Taking photos of the car before and after is a wise precaution anyway. – DJClayworth Apr 4 '16 at 22:44

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.