I'll be going to France for 4 months to conduct research towards my PhD. I believe I will be issued with a long stay visa for research to cover my trip. I have the required "Convention d’Accueil" from the organisation I'll be spending time at. I currently hold an Australian passport.

My question is, is this research visa considered a "Type D", like the other French long stay visas and does it allow entry into other Schengen areas? Does the research visa carry any specific conditions (besides the fact that you need a "Convention d’Accueil" to apply)?

I will have a month off during my 4 month stay, during which I'd like to travel around to other countries, hopefully I can do this with the one visa.


The research you described falls under a type "D" (national) visa, but given that your stay is 4 months they have the OPTION of issuing a Schengen. In either case you can travel around the zone unless the visa itself shows a restriction (which is rare). There's no way of telling what the consulate will do, and you will know when you inspect the visa.

  • just to follow up on this. I've been issued the type D visa, it says "valid for: France (sauf CTOM) and number of entries "MULT". Does this mean I am able to enter any country in the Schengen area as many times as I like?
    – Mitchell D
    Apr 14 '16 at 7:39
  • Yes, that's the meaning of "MULT"
    – Gayot Fow
    Apr 14 '16 at 10:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.