I have a binomial name - Sammy Kumar,
name of my father is monomial - Rajiv (no surname)

Will there be any problem in applying for visa to western countries(EU & USA) ?

  • 2
    What kind of visa do you want to apply for ? "Western countries" is rather vague, though I suspect this shouldn't be an issue – blackbird Mar 30 '16 at 16:26
  • 4
    I can't imagine that a country would reject you for a visa simply because your father has no surname. – Zach Lipton Mar 30 '16 at 16:27
  • Related (duplicate?): travel.stackexchange.com/questions/20061/… – Urbana Mar 30 '16 at 18:00

This is such a common occurrence in many countries that there are procedures for it. People with one name can and do get visas.

The instructions for the DS-160 form, for applying for a US visa, state that for people with one name, you enter the single name in the Surname: field, and enter FNU in the Given name: field.

Help: Surnames

Enter all surnames (or family names) exactly as they are written in your passport. If only one name is written in your passport, enter that as your “Surname.”

Help: Given Names

If your passport does not include a first or given name, please enter 'FNU' (meaning “first name unknown”) in the space for “Given Names.”

  • Couldn't find something like that regarding Schengen visas – blackbird Mar 30 '16 at 20:12
  • 1
    I can't find anything definitive for any Schengen country from a quick search. I expect that contacting the relevant consulate for instructions is the best thing to do. – Michael Hampton Mar 30 '16 at 20:14
  • You generally don't need to specify name of your father anywhere in Schengen visa. Even so, I'm sure something like 'n/a' will work. – rvs Mar 30 '16 at 21:44

It says here in the US consulate website: http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/temporary-visitors/faqs.html

What if I do not have a first name? What if I do not have a surname?

If your visa is approved, visas will be printed as your name appears in your passport. If you do not have a first name or surname, your entire name will be printed on the surname field of the visa. Your first name will be printed as "FNU" (first name unknown).

By having "FNU" listed as your given name on your visa, you may have difficulty obtaining a driver’s license and social security card in the United States. If you would like to correct the surname and given name fields on your passport biographic data page, you must have an observation made in your passport by the Indian Passport Authorities. In order for your name to be correctly printed on your visa, you must have this observation made before coming for your interview.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.