I am ineligible to enter the Schengen area right now since I've exhausted my 90/180 days. However, there is an month long internship offer in Europe that I am keen to take up. Is there any possibility of getting a D class visa for a 1 month visit? (I assume the host institution will be willing to help me get one. They do this regularly for other students who stay longer).


Correcting myself. The previous answer was not correct.

Here's the Italian official website:

Long sojourn or "national" Visas (NV), which are only valid for visits that are longer than 90 days (type D),

That's quite clear.

  • The problem is D visa is issued for 3 months or more when you apply a residence permit application. You should apply for another fresh C visa. Please check. – pbu Mar 29 '16 at 12:30
  • 1
    There is no such thing called Schengen D visa as D visas are national visas for long term residency over 3 months. It is not clear from OP questions where he is studying. Here is the link: ec.europa.eu/immigration/do-i-need-a-visa/… – pbu Mar 29 '16 at 13:12
  • 1
    @chx please read meta.travel.stackexchange.com/questions/3097/… – Gayot Fow Mar 29 '16 at 16:34
  • 1
    @pbu: Getting another C visa will not help the asker -- the 180/90 day rule applies per person, not per visa, per passport, or per trip. – hmakholm left over Monica Mar 29 '16 at 17:43
  • Rewritten the answer based on the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website. – chx Mar 29 '16 at 17:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.