Also, is it possible to rent a car in Seville and drop it off in Algarve?

I'm traveling with a bunch of friends to Spain-Portugal, and we are planning to drive down the coast.

  • Why do you assume they cannot? – Burhan Khalid Mar 27 '16 at 6:01
  • 1
    @BurhanKhalid I guess the question could mean whether a foreign national is allowed to drive in the EU with an IDP. – Ankur Banerjee Mar 27 '16 at 6:15

From spain.info:

What documentation is required to drive in Spain?

You must be 18 year old:

To drive in Spain you must be aged 18 or over. To rent a vehicle you must be 21 or over. Many companies also require you to have held your driver’s license for a minimum of one or two years. Remember that you will also require a credit card to rent a vehicle.

A valid driver’s license:

If you are the citizen of an EU member state, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein: you only require your valid driver’s license. If you are from another country you will require an International Driver’s License.

Given that conditions may vary, we suggest that you contact the Spanish Embassy or Consulate to verify these requirements before you start your trip.

  • Note that the IDL is only a translation of a person's already-issued driver's license, and is not a driver's license in itself. The IDL is usually only required when the driver's license has non-Roman letters (as, for example, a license from Japan). The IDL must be accompanied by the driver's already-issued regular driver's license. The paragraph in @Burham's answer would be more accurate if it stated "If you are from another country, you will also require an International Driver's License." – David Apr 23 '18 at 20:37

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.