This question already has an answer here:

I am a student from Kosovo studying in Norway, and I have a residence permit. I want to know if I can travel to Spain for vacation.

marked as duplicate by blackbird, Gayot Fow, phoog, Willeke, choster Mar 26 '16 at 19:19

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


Yes, you can. A residence permit or national long-stay visa for a Schengen country allows the bearer to spend up to 90 days in any 180-day period in other Schengen countries.

This isn't entirely obvious from the Schengen Borders Code, but it does say this:

  1. For intended stays on the territory of the Member States of a duration of no more than 90 days in any 180-day period, which entails considering the 180-day period preceding each day of stay, the entry conditions for third-country nationals shall be the following:


(b) they are in possession of a valid visa, if required pursuant to Council Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 of 15 March 2001 listing the third countries whose nationals must be in possession of visas when crossing the external borders and those whose nationals are exempt from that requirement, except where they hold a valid residence permit or a valid long-stay visa;

Emphasis added. This means that your residence permit exempts you from the requirement to hold a visa.

  • Is there a way you can reconcile this answer with the previous answer travel.stackexchange.com/questions/36541/… which provides the same citation, information? Do we need two answers citing the same paragraph in the Borders Code? – Gayot Fow Mar 26 '16 at 0:59
  • @GayotFow the question you linked to is somewhat different. That question is about time; this one is about space. The fact that the answer comes from the same source seems incidental. – phoog Mar 26 '16 at 4:11

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.