I have heard that it's possible to visit Chernobyl as a tourist (and some questions here on Travel bear this out, asking if it's safe to do so.)
I'd like to visit it. What do I need to know to do so well, that is, to get there and to have a good trip? I'd like to avoid overly-touristy tours, if they exist. I also really enjoy urban exploration, and I'd love to be able to explore the city, although I think Chernobyl would be somewhere I would have to be careful! So:
- How can I visit it? How is best to get there from (say) Kiev?
- Are there tour companies or guides? Are these high-quality, interesting, at-your-own-pace or maybe even one-on-one tours, or 'touristy' tours?
- Can you stay nearby overnight, in order to not be hurried?
- (Related to the linked question) Are there maps of safe areas and irradiated areas? How do you know where to go and where not to go?
- What specific things should I keep an eye out for? For example, is it true you can see the nuclear plant glow at night?