I hold a Chinese passport. I'm on my H1B work visa currently. However, my last visa stamp has expired a few months ago. So this one won't be able to help me enter US from outside. My question is, if I fly from mainland USA to Alaska, then return from there to mainland USA (Virginia, to be exact), do I need a valid visa upon the entry?

Thanks for your help! P


The short answer is "no", but the reason why will depend upon which route you take.

Presuming you take a direct flight from the mainland US to Alaska, then this is a domestic flight - despite the fact that it flies over Canada, and the fact that Alaska is not directly connected to the US. As with all domestic flights, you do not need a valid visa as you are not leaving or entering the US.

If you take a flight that goes via Canada, or if you travel overland such that you exit the US and enter Canada then it's a different story as you will need to re-enter the US - which would normally require a valid visa. However presuming your status (ie, I94) is still valid then you can re-enter the US using a process called automatic revalidation which basically allows your existing status to continue, even thought you left the US for a short period. (Note however that you may require a visa to enter Canada!)

So regardless your path, you are good to travel and return without a valid US visa.


Alaska is a state, not a foreign country (even though sourdoughs may argue differently ;-)

You will not pass through immigration going or coming. All you need is a valid ID to board your flights.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.