I would like to volunteer at the Emerald City comic convention in Seattle. What documentation do I need to cross the US border? I am Canadian.

  • 7
  • 1
    Since you can volunteer under the normal terms of visiting the US I don't think they would need anything extra. – DJClayworth Feb 17 '16 at 19:32
  • 2
    This is not a duplicate of any question about the Visa Waiver Program, since Canadian citizens do not need a visa (or, therefore, a visa waiver) to enter the US. – David Richerby Jun 19 '16 at 10:59
  • 2
    @DavidRicherby but the allowed activities under the VWP and in B visitor status are the same. Canadians who enter as visitors are in B status even though they don't require B visas. – phoog Sep 28 '16 at 19:27
  • 2
    @chx even though Canadians don't need a B visa, they are admitted when coming as "visitors for business or pleasure" in B status, with the same restrictions on allowed activities. – phoog Sep 28 '16 at 19:30

There are no "volunteers" at the Emerald City Comic Con (ECCC). The people you think of as volunteers, are known as ECCC Minions, and they are paid minimum wage for the hours they work, as well as given free entrance to the Convention during hours they do not.

You would most likely not be legal using a tourist visa, or the VWP. You might try contacting ReedPOP, the company that runs the ECCC (among many others) using their contact form.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.