I want to travel to the USA (I am UK Citizen) and I am only allowed 90 days.

Is it possible for me to stay longer - say 6 months to a year, and how?

  • 10
    Of course. Obtain a B1/B2 visa and usually that allows a 6 months stay. – Karlson Feb 13 '16 at 15:55
  • Thanks, but i cant find anywhere online thats says this is possible? is it possible to be denied a B1/B2? – Jlc Feb 13 '16 at 16:00
  • 6
    @Jlc the word live will get your visa request denied. You can visit for tourist purposes but if you show up at the border with a return ticket six months in the future prepare for some hard questions about how do you plan to afford your visit since you are not allowed to work. – chx Feb 13 '16 at 16:15
  • 4
    To the USA? On scale of 1-10 what about 9 or so? – chx Feb 13 '16 at 17:22
  • 2
    Related: travel.stackexchange.com/questions/61825/…. It looks from that like US visa/immigration law is not particularly sympathetic to unmarried couples wanting to spend a lot of time together. – Nate Eldredge Feb 13 '16 at 17:45

The only way to stay in the US for more than 90 days is to obtain a B1/B2 visa, which will allow you to stay up to 6 months.

However in general the US is relatively strict regarding granting B1/B2 visas to people who are otherwise eligible to use the Visa Waiver Program (which allows for stays up to 90 days). Generally they will be looking for a very good reason that you intend to stay for more than 90 days, and some level of guarantee that you will leave at the end of your stay.

Unfortunately visiting a girlfriend generally doesn't tick these boxes. A 6 month stay also means that it's likely that you don't have a job to return to in the UK, and probably don't have a permanent UK residence to return to - if these are both true then your odds of having a visa approved are reduced even further.

The problem then becomes that if you do apply for a visa and it is rejected, you are no longer able to enter the US using the Visa Waiver Program - which means that you can't visit your girlfriend at all.

Nobody here can give you a definitive answer as nobody knows your exact situation or how the consulate staff will interpret that situation - but if it were me I would NOT be risking applying for a visa.

  • yeah this is what i thought. Thanks @Doc- Have i got any options? – Jlc Feb 13 '16 at 21:27
  • What if i got a internship over there to do with my career? – Jlc Feb 13 '16 at 21:28
  • 1
    An internship would require at least a J1 visa, and whilst that may be possible it's a lot of effort to obtain both the internship and the visa. – Doc Feb 13 '16 at 21:35
  • 1
    @Jlc another option is a full-time course of study. I know someone who used that route to move in with her then-boyfriend, who was in the US for many years on a work visa. Now they are married and are US citizens. – phoog Feb 14 '16 at 7:44
  • 1
    @Jlc (delayed reply because I was on vacation): There's always a chance that any visa application will be denied. I don't know what the denial rates are for people in full-time courses of study, but I would guess that they are low. If you are looking for a guaranteed way to live in the United States (with a partner or otherwise), you will not find it. What's more, if you are looking for a guaranteed way to enter the United States for any length of time, you won't find that, either. – phoog Feb 23 '16 at 18:18


You will need to obtain a B1/B2 visa (not an ESTA with the Visa Waiver Program) at the nearest US embassy or consulate.

That allows up to 6 months stay upon entry.

protected by phoog Oct 18 '18 at 16:48

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.