I want to travel to the USA (I am UK Citizen) and I am only allowed 90 days.

Is it possible for me to stay longer - say 6 months to a year, and how?

  • 10
    Of course. Obtain a B1/B2 visa and usually that allows a 6 months stay.
    – Karlson
    Feb 13, 2016 at 15:55
  • Thanks, but i cant find anywhere online thats says this is possible? is it possible to be denied a B1/B2?
    – Jlc
    Feb 13, 2016 at 16:00
  • 6
    @Jlc the word live will get your visa request denied. You can visit for tourist purposes but if you show up at the border with a return ticket six months in the future prepare for some hard questions about how do you plan to afford your visit since you are not allowed to work.
    – user4188
    Feb 13, 2016 at 16:15
  • 4
    To the USA? On scale of 1-10 what about 9 or so?
    – user4188
    Feb 13, 2016 at 17:22
  • 2
    Related: travel.stackexchange.com/questions/61825/…. It looks from that like US visa/immigration law is not particularly sympathetic to unmarried couples wanting to spend a lot of time together. Feb 13, 2016 at 17:45

2 Answers 2


The only way to stay in the US for more than 90 days is to obtain a B1/B2 visa, which will allow you to stay up to 6 months.

However in general the US is relatively strict regarding granting B1/B2 visas to people who are otherwise eligible to use the Visa Waiver Program (which allows for stays up to 90 days). Generally they will be looking for a very good reason that you intend to stay for more than 90 days, and some level of guarantee that you will leave at the end of your stay.

Unfortunately visiting a girlfriend generally doesn't tick these boxes. A 6 month stay also means that it's likely that you don't have a job to return to in the UK, and probably don't have a permanent UK residence to return to - if these are both true then your odds of having a visa approved are reduced even further.

The problem then becomes that if you do apply for a visa and it is rejected, you are no longer able to enter the US using the Visa Waiver Program - which means that you can't visit your girlfriend at all.

Nobody here can give you a definitive answer as nobody knows your exact situation or how the consulate staff will interpret that situation - but if it were me I would NOT be risking applying for a visa.

  • yeah this is what i thought. Thanks @Doc- Have i got any options?
    – Jlc
    Feb 13, 2016 at 21:27
  • What if i got a internship over there to do with my career?
    – Jlc
    Feb 13, 2016 at 21:28
  • 1
    An internship would require at least a J1 visa, and whilst that may be possible it's a lot of effort to obtain both the internship and the visa.
    – Doc
    Feb 13, 2016 at 21:35
  • 1
    @Jlc another option is a full-time course of study. I know someone who used that route to move in with her then-boyfriend, who was in the US for many years on a work visa. Now they are married and are US citizens.
    – phoog
    Feb 14, 2016 at 7:44
  • 1
    @Jlc (delayed reply because I was on vacation): There's always a chance that any visa application will be denied. I don't know what the denial rates are for people in full-time courses of study, but I would guess that they are low. If you are looking for a guaranteed way to live in the United States (with a partner or otherwise), you will not find it. What's more, if you are looking for a guaranteed way to enter the United States for any length of time, you won't find that, either.
    – phoog
    Feb 23, 2016 at 18:18


You will need to obtain a B1/B2 visa (not an ESTA with the Visa Waiver Program) at the nearest US embassy or consulate.

That allows up to 6 months stay upon entry.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .