I'm a French citizen with an approved ESTA.
I was flying from Thailand to Mexico with a 7hr transit in LA (had to go through border control and get a stamp). Indeed left US after a few hours.

I stay in Mexico for 3 weeks and really want to re-enter US (this time for traveling).
I'm not planning to work and have enough money (took a 1yr break from school for this trip, that's why I want to use my VWP for the max 90 days).
As I understand, currently I'll have 90 days minus my stay in Mexico for my re-entering.

My questions:
Is there something I can do/say/show so the border officer will grant me a new stamp for 90 days?
If so, better go by land or by air?
If not, is using the automated kiosks can help with something (maybe they give 90 days without messing with the Mexico/Canada issue)?

  • 4
    You can spend a couple of days in a country farther south, such as Panama or Costa Rica... Feb 11, 2016 at 7:02
  • 1
    You could also apply for a B-2 visa, which generally allows you to stay for six months.
    – phoog
    Feb 11, 2016 at 9:46
  • @MichaelHampton wouldn't Guatemala or Belize be enough ?
    – blackbird
    Feb 11, 2016 at 18:05
  • 1
    @blackbird57 Yes, but you would have to want to go there! Feb 11, 2016 at 18:13
  • 1
    Or, change your itinerary to bypass the US. There are flights available to Mexico from the Far East which do not enter the US, though they may be more expensive. (for instance AM099 PVG-TIJ) Feb 23, 2016 at 3:35

1 Answer 1


Salut alon !

Unfortunately, you cannot apply for a B2 visitor visa while in the US. You would have to go to a US consulate in Mexico (or some other country) and apply as a "Third Country National."

If you were to go to a consulate in Mexico, there is an application process here


Bonne chance, et courage !

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .