I have a transit at Frankfurt en route to India. It looks like I need transit visa at Frankfurt (my H1B visa on passport expired, I only have valid I-797).
How can I apply for German(or Schengen) transit visa?
Can I apply that at airport on arrival?

  • What is your nationality?
    – phoog
    Commented Jan 25, 2016 at 4:03
  • 2
    Possible duplicate of Do I need a visa to transit in the Schengen area?
    – CMaster
    Commented Jan 25, 2016 at 9:19
  • It might be considered a duplicate, but that question really doesn't cover this particular scenario very well; airside transit rules are not entirely harmonized among the Schengen states. Commented Jan 25, 2016 at 15:56
  • I agree with @MichaelHampton, the question is whether a visa is needed, but how to apply for it.
    – Vince
    Commented Jan 25, 2016 at 16:32

1 Answer 1


You should not need an airport transit visa from Germany for this itinerary.

The German mission in the US explicitly says that you are exempt from the airport transit visa requirement if:

  1. If they return from the USA after having used the visa

Further, Timatic, the system which airlines will check to determine if your documents are in order, notes the same exception.

  • returning from Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland (Rep.), Japan, Romania, USA or United Kingdom after having used the visa and traveling to any non-Schengen Member State;

Notably, it is not required for your US visa to be valid when you are departing the US, nor is it required for your visa to have only recently expired.

You may wish to bring printed copies of both the Timatic output and the information from the German mission when you check in for your flight.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .