I'm applying for my passport. I passed 10th standard. Now I'm studying btech (bachelor's at a technical university) 2nd year. I'm 19 years old. What should I answer for the question "ARE YOU ELIGIBLE FOR NON-ECR CATEGORY"? The choices are either yes or no.

closed as unclear what you're asking by JonathanReez, Henning Makholm, Karlson, iHaveacomputer, Mark Mayo Jan 25 '16 at 0:09

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 3
    For which country? – Willeke Jan 24 '16 at 14:38
  • @Willeke: Apparently "ECR" is a category of Indian passports whose holders are not allowed to leave the country without applying for specific government permission in advance. (Shades of East Germany! ...) But let's see what the OP replies. – Henning Makholm Jan 24 '16 at 15:54

The list of documents required to allow non-ECR is here.

They include (I'm not going to reproduce the entire list):

Educational matriculation (passing 10th grade counts)
Evidence that you're a tax-payer
Gazetted government servants (and relatives)
Anyone over 50 or under 18
Professional degree holders
Others (see the website)

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.