I am Saket Patel, an Indian national, studying in France. I have French long stay visa and residence permit (social security). I need to travel to UK for a meeting/conference and I do not know if I need a separate visa for that purpose.

Kindly help me out and let me know if I can travel there with these documents or do I need to apply for visa separately?

  • 2
    This is a duplicate if I can find the one it is a duplicate of. Quick answer is yes, you need a visa - see gov.uk/check-uk-visa (the fact that it never asks about residence permits is not an oversight - it's because it makes no difference)
    – CMaster
    Jan 11, 2016 at 11:59
  • You need a UK entry clearance. Having a French long stay does not work at the UK border.
    – Gayot Fow
    Jan 11, 2016 at 13:45

1 Answer 1


Yes, you need a visa. UK is not in Schengen area and operates separate visa system.

You can use the online checker: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

A very similar question: Can I visit UK with Italian stay permit?

  • References for this? Ways the OP could have found this out themselves?
    – CMaster
    Jan 11, 2016 at 13:01
  • 1
    @CMaster, I added some references. It is much more difficult to prove that some magic rule does not exist, rather than that it does, though :)
    – Grzenio
    Jan 11, 2016 at 13:49
  • 1
    The online checker is a good one. In general here you are looking not to prove that smething doesn't exist, but that somehing does exists (Visa required for Indian Citizens) - and noting that the exception they seek is not mentioned at that source. It's not proof, but it is good evidence.
    – CMaster
    Jan 11, 2016 at 13:51

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .