I need to find a way to accompany an elderly non-English-speaking relative to the gate at London Stansted Airport. Can I buy a ticket to get through security, walk the relative to the gate and then exit back to land side? I need to understand if this is legal, or if I would be given a fine.


1 Answer 1


Typically, airlines will give you a 'Security Pass' (instead of a boarding pass) that allows you to go into the security area for that reason, up to the gate door. At the check-in, ask for it, together with the person needing your help. If you want to be sure that it will work, call them and confirm the process now, but I have done that before.

Note you will need your ID with you, and the 'Security Pass' will be printed with your name. It looks similar to a Boarding pass, but has no flight info on it.

Here are two examples that confirm this:


http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1211383-can-person-no-boarding-pass-get-guest-pass-go-thru-security.html (there are lot of people that recommend buying a ticket, that is not needed. Check for 'Orion' and 'noname's post)

P.S. It is free.

  • I once brought a non-english speaker to the gate that way; and another time i left my laptop in the plane, and realized it only in the parking lot. In each case, they gave me that kind of document, and I could get through security without a problem.
    – Aganju
    Jan 5, 2016 at 21:14
  • Here flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/… are people that did the same thing without problems (there are lot of people that recommend buying a ticket, that is not needed. Check for 'Orion' and 'noname's post)
    – Aganju
    Jan 5, 2016 at 21:17
  • 4
    Both of these examples are in the US, which often has quite different conventions to the rest of the world. Is there any indication that it happens elsewhere? Jan 5, 2016 at 22:27
  • 1
    This is also typically specific to domestic travel.
    – Joe
    Jan 5, 2016 at 22:41

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .