I came down with food poisoning a few days ago and was unable to begin my trip (multiple days driving + trains, boats).

I had to cancel the trip literally on the morning I was supposed to leave and choose a different mode of transport (plane vs driving) because I didn't know when I would feel better again and I have to get back because of visa reasons.

I didn't feel well enough to go to the doctors, but do now - as I'm told I will need a medical certificate.

If I'm well again, is the doctor likely to give me a certificate? If not, what kind of recourse do I have with a claim. All the claims I have seen in the past seem to centre around having 1) Medical certificate before cancelling 2) To use the same mode of transport.

1 Answer 1


You can still see a doctor now, usually there is a time limit of a few days. The doctor just needs to verify that what he/she observes is consistent with your your description of your medical condition preventing you to go on your trip a few days ago. The doctor is not required to prove that you indeed suffered from that specific illness. You may be well now, but sickness usually doesn't last a long time, so there isn't a consistency problem here.

This is still useful for the insurance company, in a case where the insured suffers from some chronic medical problem who likely knew at the time of booking that he might be unfit to travel, would not get compensation.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.