I am from Chile and I am going to study for a semester (6 months) in the UK. The University in which I was accepeted informed me that I do not need to apply for a Visa as a chilean citizen going to the UK, so, because of that I am going to get a visa stamp at the UK border control in te airport if I take with me some documents.

Does it imply any problem in getting just the visa stamp? Is it legal ? Can I visit other countries around Europe if I just get the visa stamp?

Please. I am travelling in just one month more... and I do not understand well the procedures

  • 1
    As to visiting other European countries, as a citizen of Chile, you can visit the Schengen area (most of the rest of the EU) without a visa, for no more than 90 days in any 180-day period. I am not sure about Ireland, which is not in Schengen.
    – phoog
    Commented Dec 12, 2015 at 1:17
  • may be unrelated but just to understand better are you going to Cranfield?
    – skv
    Commented Dec 12, 2015 at 4:19

1 Answer 1


For a program of study of six months or less, Chilean nationals do not need a visa to visit the UK, but you do need to bring your documents to show at the border.

In particular, you need to:

  • Prove you are enrolled in a course of study not exceeding six months
  • Prove you can support yourself financially, or that a sponsor will support you
  • Show where you will stay in the UK
  • Provide certified translations of non-English documents

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .