I am planning to visit Canada in two weeks. I am a Thai passport holder with a USA B-1/B-2 visa and an F1 student visa. The last time I entered the US I used the F-1 visa.

Would I require a Canadian visa to visit if I am driving from USA to Canada?

  • 1
    Canada and the United States are seperate and distinct countries. Does a Thai visa work in Cambodia or Laos? Dec 6, 2015 at 5:38
  • @LessPop_MoreFizz: Well, France and Austria are separate and distinct countries, but a "French visa" (Schengen) does "work" in Austria... Dec 6, 2015 at 5:55
  • @LessPop_MoreFizz I don't know about Thai visas in Cambodia, but I do know that a US green card works in lieu of a visa to enter Canada.
    – phoog
    Dec 6, 2015 at 7:22
  • A visa to the US does not entitle you entry into Canada. Its that simple. Dec 7, 2015 at 6:26

1 Answer 1


Your US immigration status is irrelevant unless you are a permanent resident. Since you are not, you need a visa.

You can check this for yourself at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.