This question already has an answer here:

I am Vietnamese and I am flying from Dusseldorf to Vietnam, and I will take the transit in Zurich within 15 hours. I want to go to the Zurich center. Any transit visa or any special documents I should have? I don't have any Schengen visa.

marked as duplicate by DJClayworth, blackbird, Gagravarr, CGCampbell, JoErNanO Nov 20 '15 at 9:33

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 4
    How did you get into the Schengen area without a visa, then? – Michael Hampton Nov 19 '15 at 23:34
  • On what basis are you staying in Düsseldorf? A residence permit? – Relaxed Nov 20 '15 at 7:43

If you embark in Düsseldorf, it means you are already in the Schengen area (and since you don't have a short stay visa, you presumably have some other legal title to be there like a German residence permit). You won't leave the area before Zurich.

In most cases, you won't see any border guard before you go to the non-Schengen part of Zurich airport and you will in any case be free to leave the airport and do whatever you want. It's only when you go to catch your Vietnam-bound plane that you will be stamped out.

If you are coming from somewhere else, say London-Düsseldorf-Zurich-Vietnam, then you definitely need a Schengen visa for this transit, not merely to see the city in Zurich but also to be allowed to board your plane and catch the Düsseldorf-Zurich leg.

Either way, if you are able to follow this itinerary, you won't have any problem leaving the airport in Zurich.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.